Forums / Media / Video Games

38,611 total conversations in 2,699 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo Indie World for April 17, 2024

Last posted Apr 19, 2024 at 01:10PM EDT. Added Apr 16, 2024 at 12:18PM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

Source

Nintendo just confirmed they'll be airing a new Indie World presentation tomorrow (as of writing this) at 10:00 AM EST. It'll be around 20 minutes long.

Nintendo themselves don't really seem to have a lot of first party stuff for 2024 after Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion so I expect indie titles are gonna be what occupies most Switch owners this year.

Now of course I gotta get this obligatory thing out of the way, yadda yadda, Hollow Knight Silksong?, yadda yadda. Look if it shows up, cool, but if it doesn't then honestly whatever, I've stopped expecting it to ever show up during any presentations. I'm not mad at Team Cherry or anything for their odd silence on any form of progress, but I am tired of always getting my hopes up. Besides it's not really fair to the other indie devs who are showcasing their own passion projects to just blow them off in favor of one specific indie game that at this point feels like it's got hype more akin to a AAA first party game.

Last edited Apr 16, 2024 at 12:18PM EDT

Forget about Silksong. I'm mad about the dev team from Shovel Knight blueballing me with a demo of Mina the Hollower and then having years of radio silence.

Anyway, I'm not having any real predictions other than there will probably be the usual ports and farming sims lmao.

I've never played Hollow Knight, but all this hype around SIlksong got me curious: was Hollow Knight really that good that the lack of updates have reduced the fans to ravenous beasts clamouring for even the slightest droplet of news, or is this just a case of overblown hype brought about by said lack of updates?

Write up time.

-Little Kitty, Big City: a colorful adventure game where you play as a cat lost in a big city. Game is making me think "Stray mixed with Untitled Goose Game." You can do a bunch of side quests to help other animals in need. You can customize your kitty with fun little hats you find in the world, and do emotes like "big stretch." Game is launching on May 9, so not far at all.

-Yars Rising: a new entry in the old Atari franchise Yars, but now as a metroidvania set in a cyberpunk world, where you control a girl infiltrating a shady tech company. Game is being made by Wayforward so I'm hoping it turns out to be a good one!

-Refind Self: The Personality Test Game: Play as an android who has to go on a journey of self discovery following the passing of their creator. It's an adventure game where your choices will influence your character's overall personality, which even includes things like "sage" and "samurai." You'll even be able to compare your personality results with other players.

-Sticky Business: A cozy business sim where you run a small sticker company. Create stickers to please your customers and attract new ones. This one is actually shadow dropping today.

-Antonblast: This was a real surprise, the Wario Land inspired platformer finally has a release date and is coming to the Switch on November 12! There's even a demo out today! TBH I'm a little surprised this seems to be coming to Switch before Pizza Tower (that is unless Nintendo announces a port during their annual June Direct).

-Valley Peaks: An adventure platformer where you play as an anthropomorphic frog who travels around a valley installing radio towers and conversing with the locals. Has a pretty neat looking art style.

-Lorelei and the Laser Eyes: a new puzzle adventure game from the studio behind Sayonara Wild Hearts. World traversal uses fixed camera angles like old school survival horror games, but puzzles can include minigames with varying visual styles. World and character design reminds me a lot of Killer7, interestingly. Game looks right up my alley, has a real Lynchian vibe about it.

-Europa: A platforming adventure game where you play as a young boy who looks to have magical powers that help with jumping, gliding, and other platforming abilities.

-TMNT: Splintered Fate: A roguelike action game starring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (think like a co-op version of Hades). If you're a TMNT fan this looks like one to keep an eye on.

-Cat Quest 3: I remember a while back this game originally wasn't going to have a number in the name and had a subtitle of "Pi-rats of the Purribean" but they've since dropped the subtitle and gave it a number. Safe to say if you enjoyed the previous two Cat Quest games you'll enjoy this one, only now it's pirate themed.

-Stitch: another cozy game, but this one a puzzler involving a form of stitching known as "hoops." The trailer said the game will have a lot of puzzles to work through, even ones based around holidays that unlock on said holidays, so if you love chill puzzlers then give this one a shot. This one is also a shadowdrop.

-Sizzle reel time: "BZZZT" is a side scrolling action game that looks pretty neat, the pixel art looks very vibrant. "Schism" looks like it's a puzzler where you control a frog that moves around by hopping in shadows, which is an interesting idea. "Animal Well" was revealed in a previous Indie World and is the debut game from Videogamedunkey's publishing label Big Mode, game is looking pretty neat, and launching May 9. "The Secret Salami" looks to be a comedic adventure game where you play as a literal DUCKtective, looks like it might be fun. "Another Crab's Treasure" was showcased in the last Indie World so here they just gave people a reminder it's launching next week.

-The "final reveal," Steamworld Heist 2: The latest game in the Steamworld series, this time a followup to the turn based strategy Heist series (much like how Steamworld Dig was followed up with another metroidvania simply titled "Steamworld Dig 2"). The game will retain the "steambot" designs and artstyle of the rest of the Steamworld series, but unlike Heist 1 this entry is set in the high seas rather than space. Hopefully this one does well as I heard the last game in the series, Build, got off to a rocky start in terms of sales. Personal aside: I loved that they got the band Steam Powered Giraffe to do music for the previous Heist, it'd be neat if they come back again and make cameos in the game like before (especially since the band has undergone a lineup change and updated costume designs since the first Heist). EDIT: Oh, looks like SPG are indeed back to do the music!

Last edited Apr 17, 2024 at 12:56PM EDT

Sugary Salt wrote:

I've never played Hollow Knight, but all this hype around SIlksong got me curious: was Hollow Knight really that good that the lack of updates have reduced the fans to ravenous beasts clamouring for even the slightest droplet of news, or is this just a case of overblown hype brought about by said lack of updates?

As someone who liked but didn't love Hollow Knight (mostly cleared the original release except for the last coliseum, and the updates weren't engaging for me), the hype around Silksong is really weird. I mean I'm hoping Silksong is better than HK when it actually comes out but jesus do HK stans need to stop flooding every single press release presentation with "SILKSONG WHEN" and just be fucking patient

I've waited a decade for Pikmin 4 but I didn't turn into a feral monkey shouting "BOO NOT PIKMIN 4" at every single press release

Hello! You must login or signup first!