Forums / Media / Video Games

38,632 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

Creator of Freeman's Mind launches campaign against destroying games

Last posted Apr 05, 2024 at 12:30PM EDT. Added Apr 02, 2024 at 04:46PM EDT
5 posts from 5 users

I'm a long-time follower of Ross Scott, the creator of Freeman's Mind (though I mainly follow him for his Game Dungeon series), and today he uploaded a video announcing the launch of a campaign he's been building for several months to try and fight the issue of publishers shutting down games in a way that completely revokes access from the end user, along with launching a website for his cause.

Ross's campaign website (Stop Killing Games)

This is the kind of video game activism that I'm glad people are still doing, and one that hits pretty close to home since I myself have a few games that I can't play due to them requiring a central server (Loadout is the one that comes to mind) and am generally against the practice of retroactively revoking access to a good that was paid for in full, but as I'm based in the US, my options for taking action on this campaign are pretty limited.
I don't do this kind of shilling often, but I strongly encourage KYM users based in the UK, France, Germany, any other EU countries, Canada, Australia, or Brazil to check out the website and take any steps they can to help this campaign.

Last edited Apr 02, 2024 at 04:53PM EDT

Pretty much every game needs to have an ability to play offline, I'm really annoyed by this whole "an internet connection is needed for literally everything" shit. Like take Call of Duty, if all I want to play is the single player campaign then it shouldn't matter if I'm offline. Same deal with something like FromSoft's RPGs, the ability to see player messages when connected online is neat, but the fact I can play offline and all I really lose is player messages and inconvenient invasions is fine by me.

I saw comments on the main page bringing up free-to-play games that have been discontinued, and I do agree it sucks said games got shut down, but I do feel it's going to be hard to try and convince lawmakers with F2P games specifically as I already know the biggest response from suits would be "the games were free to download and any monetary spending was completely optional." I feel a much stronger case can be maintained if we mainly strive for a change for games that do explicitly ask the consumer to purchase the game first in order to play it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!