Forums / Discussion / General

232,992 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Something I'm fully convinced of in this site

Last posted May 05, 2024 at 02:09PM EDT. Added Apr 18, 2024 at 08:47PM EDT
65 posts from 28 users

L Boy wrote:

That everyone here hates Twitter except for me.

I only stop by Twitter for the cool fan-art and the occasional edgy meme. I frequent here because the userbase is one of the few communities worth holding conversations with.

shatter wrote:

elon's X™® is basically only usable if you block more people than you follow

Maximize your ratio of accounts blocked to accounts followed by deleting your account.

Sir Snakeboat wrote:

i will admit that i am one of those hyper-cynical people, i feel like twitter is just beyond salvation

I don't think you feel that way about it because you're hyper-cynical. I think you feel that way about it because, well, you're right. Between people being "cancelled" left and right for the littlest things, artists having to constantly walk of eggshells with what they draw, and nuanced conversations being near-impossible to have, there's nothing anyone can do to save Twitter.

Elon Musk is one of the richest people on Earth, and not even he can do anything to change the way people on Twitter operate.

The only real thing I can think of would be to totally change its user interface, but then it'd practically be a whole different website.

Sir Snakeboat wrote:

i will admit that i am one of those hyper-cynical people, i feel like twitter is just beyond salvation

You’re not hyper cynical. Twitter was beyond salvation even before Elon took over.

Steve wrote:

Wow, you stalked my profile all the way back 7 months to show a comment i made that point out the twitter bio of that user, where they were admitting they were pedophile ? What do did you think you did there by linking that? Show that kym would rather support a pedophile than stop being transphobic ?

as for straw allegations, nothing i said was wrong.

Now you're just making my point by resorting to disingenious wording rather than actually look at what I mean cuz I wasn't bringing up that comments because the userbase supports pedophiles or some qanon nutwitter BS but rather you resorting to attacking the person's character rather than the argument they've made.

"as for straw allegations, nothing i said was wrong" compelling argument, I honestly can't of a better retort than this, really convincing me there.

qx1511 wrote:

You’re not hyper cynical. Twitter was beyond salvation even before Elon took over.

Exactly. All people can really do now is either curtail their experience on there in the way that it's bearable, or they just leave the place entirely.

Luzno Lindo wrote:

I don't think you feel that way about it because you're hyper-cynical. I think you feel that way about it because, well, you're right. Between people being "cancelled" left and right for the littlest things, artists having to constantly walk of eggshells with what they draw, and nuanced conversations being near-impossible to have, there's nothing anyone can do to save Twitter.

Elon Musk is one of the richest people on Earth, and not even he can do anything to change the way people on Twitter operate.

The only real thing I can think of would be to totally change its user interface, but then it'd practically be a whole different website.

"The only real thing I can think of would be to totally change its user interface, but then it'd practically be a whole different website."
Good. TWITter's UI is a sewage clogged pipe all the way down. I legitimately hate IT far more than either Husk OR a majority of the userbase, and I hate both of those…things…a LOT.
Nitter remedied a fairly decent portion of the issues I have with it, but unfortunately Lord Muskus HAD to run it over in his solid gold chariot like always. pls dont tell anyone i said this but it isnt actually unusable just super hard to properly access now
Anyway, I seriously don't get why nobody ever talks about how awful the site itself is. It's always the same few points that have already been beaten into the ground for years.

Last edited Apr 27, 2024 at 07:13AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

wared wrote:

Now you're just making my point by resorting to disingenious wording rather than actually look at what I mean cuz I wasn't bringing up that comments because the userbase supports pedophiles or some qanon nutwitter BS but rather you resorting to attacking the person's character rather than the argument they've made.

"as for straw allegations, nothing i said was wrong" compelling argument, I honestly can't of a better retort than this, really convincing me there.

>rather you resorting to attacking the person's character rather than the argument they've made.

Heres the pot calling the kettle black then lmao

>really convincing me there

You didnt make an argument, so why would I argue with you? You just said that what I said was a straw man and dug through my profile until you found that comment. Thats just saying im wrong, so why are you acting bent of shape that i gave a "yeah-huh" to your "nuh-uh"

UngaDooda wrote:

Can somebody explain to me why OP commented on my wall and then deactivated their account?

He was terminally goofy, and alas, that was his final goof. Now he goofs no more.

It's been a few years since I really used Twitter, I mostly used it pre-Musk so anything I say might be dated by now.

Honestly, the reason why I strongly dislike twitter isn't for it's userbase but what I consider it's fundamental gimmick and main flaw: it's character count. With some exceptions like, maybe CJK users… you can't get across ANY idea through it. So all posts become long threads with a million tweets under it, or having to use a third party site to share the whole tweet, or just plain screenshotting from notes. The tiny character count is horrible for any type of politics and activism (tumblr never had this same problem, mind you, despite having the same politics), and any tweets I can remember being of worth were shitposts. Anything useful, like resources or guides were better saved through tumblr or some other blog type site.

I also think that the toxicity of twitter has more to do with its character format than anything else. I can't think of any social media where someone can make a post and someone else quote retweets it with some snarky quip. It kinda comes off as weirdly antisocial?

In my experience, twitter was never even good for art because anything uploaded onto the site would become heavily compressed. Tumblr and actual art platforms never really had this problem.

I know OP deleted but I guess I wanted to get my thoughts out on it, especially since a lot of my previous friends ended up getting sucked into pointless twitter spats, like a moth to a flame. The site always seemed to me only really good for maybe business, but never actual social interaction.

Zigzagoon wrote:

It's been a few years since I really used Twitter, I mostly used it pre-Musk so anything I say might be dated by now.

Honestly, the reason why I strongly dislike twitter isn't for it's userbase but what I consider it's fundamental gimmick and main flaw: it's character count. With some exceptions like, maybe CJK users… you can't get across ANY idea through it. So all posts become long threads with a million tweets under it, or having to use a third party site to share the whole tweet, or just plain screenshotting from notes. The tiny character count is horrible for any type of politics and activism (tumblr never had this same problem, mind you, despite having the same politics), and any tweets I can remember being of worth were shitposts. Anything useful, like resources or guides were better saved through tumblr or some other blog type site.

I also think that the toxicity of twitter has more to do with its character format than anything else. I can't think of any social media where someone can make a post and someone else quote retweets it with some snarky quip. It kinda comes off as weirdly antisocial?

In my experience, twitter was never even good for art because anything uploaded onto the site would become heavily compressed. Tumblr and actual art platforms never really had this problem.

I know OP deleted but I guess I wanted to get my thoughts out on it, especially since a lot of my previous friends ended up getting sucked into pointless twitter spats, like a moth to a flame. The site always seemed to me only really good for maybe business, but never actual social interaction.

Aside from my previous regards about Twitter in my Unpopular Opinion post some time ago. although, most of it is outdated due to the most used instance for that site is in a vegetated state.
but your explanation is the most solidify reason out of the majority of this thread. you really can't have a clear and thoughtful conversation on Twitter due to the huge restriction on the 160 character limit (I think is 160, I've never posted anything there). so to get the point across to many people, you have to be as abrasive and exaggerated with your limitations. it's an environment that breeds irrational behavior.
But then again, Twitter is only meant to be a microblog site that you only supposed to post small personal updates. But everyone uses it for everything besides the actual purpose. jamming a square block to an obvious round hole until it caters to them. it wouldn't much of a bigger problem if most user's are mostly if not only active on Twitter. which is why I'm more and more promoting others to make and host their own websites just like the WEB 2.0 era. at least you don't have to deal with the site owner's and general userbase's BS and have a stable place to promote your creations.

Sup! You must login or signup first!