Forums / Discussion / General

232,989 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

New site layout?

Last posted May 06, 2024 at 07:05AM EDT. Added Apr 11, 2024 at 08:41PM EDT
122 posts from 77 users

| || || |_ wrote:

It's apparently just a cookie. Clear your site data or open the site in incognito mode. That worked for me.

Not that the average person is going to figure that out, they're just going to leave and not come back.

I did that just in case I was missing something, and now the god-awful layout is implemented. So, thanks for nothing.
Also, yup, calling it a downgrade doesn't even begin to describe it.

Quick update from the team โ€“ we're pushing an update shortly to hopefully address the site speed (caching issue). Comments fixes are also in progress, hoping to have those up later today, but we'll keep you posted.

Another thing I just noticed: the Spoiler banner doesn't cover the pictures in the galleries anymore. Boy am I glad this didn't happen to the NSFW banner.
At least the pictures and comments are all loaded properly now. So, there's that.

Triplem wrote:

Another thing I just noticed: the Spoiler banner doesn't cover the pictures in the galleries anymore. Boy am I glad this didn't happen to the NSFW banner.
At least the pictures and comments are all loaded properly now. So, there's that.

ah good point, adding that to our to-do list. Thanks!

| || || |_ wrote:

It's apparently just a cookie. Clear your site data or open the site in incognito mode. That worked for me.

Not that the average person is going to figure that out, they're just going to leave and not come back.

Thanks for the help!

The new design is godawful and barely readable. Whoever thought it was a good idea to present it on any number of pages should be punished.
I guess I'll have to leave the site for a few months and see if the finalized design would be worth staying for.

The more I look at the new layout, the more I notice details that show that it was designed with no regard for the computer users whatsoever. Other sites use a m. extension to separate the mobile version from the computer version of their layouts. Was it not an option for KYM? This, in comparison, seems like repairing a wall by jamming a car through the hole.
Also, I cannot edit pictures anymore, it would seem. So much for tagging and sourcing them, which is kind of our purpose here BTW

If I may give some actual advice here, people love having options and people love to customize their online browsing expirience, so my idea is not only make the new UI optional, give some customization options to the new one, like showing weather or not you've already voted on an image or comments (there's no way of knowing that with the new UI), choosing the background color, whether or not spoiler and NSFW images are filtered, showing or hiding the trending bar and trending galleries.
All that would show that at least SOME effort went into the UI's design because as it is, it just reeks of "baby's first attempt at web UI", wich should be an obligatory subject to those who want to learn how to code for websites if it isn't already.

Oh wait, it gets better: I can't find any button to edit entries either. Keep in mind that, as an Entry Moderator, I am supposed to have maximum authority and tools to edit all and any entry. Except having access to the editing, apparently.
What a shitshow.

I think they reverted to the old UI for everyone, or at least it has for me, so if it is the former I'd at least like to thank the Staff for listening to the complaints levied.

Too many nowadays just give updates with passive language and change nothing

RoyalBlue wrote:

I think they reverted to the old UI for everyone, or at least it has for me, so if it is the former I'd at least like to thank the Staff for listening to the complaints levied.

Too many nowadays just give updates with passive language and change nothing

Nope, still showing up on my end unfortunately. The lack of alt text is egregious.

The only update to this website we've ever asked for is the ability to edit our comments, and we still can't do that.
I don't care what kind of focus groups you've been surveying, nobody on this website wants it to look like this. Run a poll if you don't believe me.

jumpropeman wrote:

I'm guessing this is another one of those "it's better for mobile!" changes every site goes through. Problem is, it makes so much harder to browse the stuff I want to see, the latest is buried and trending images is shown in an ugly banner. It's cliche to threaten to stop going to a site after things like this, but this legitimately hurts the reason I check the site so often.

Iโ€™m on mobile right now, and this shit is worse. There was almost nothing wrong with the old layout for mobile users, IMO. And cockblocking people who want the old layout back with a link to a meme page is a level of childish pettiness that I wouldnโ€™t expect from a professional site management team.

I have a theory that changes like this are implemented from time to time by UI designers just so they can keep their job. They donโ€™t actually see anything wrong with the old layout themselves, but they have to change it to prove to the suits higher-up that theyโ€™re actually still doing work and donโ€™t need to be let go. I just hope that this layout doesnโ€™t stick, or at the very least that I actually get the option to use the old layout, like Reddit did.

It should be a law every time someone proposes a new layout for a social media site, they get beaten with baseball bats or some other blunt object.

Because holy shit this is so fucking bad.

Last edited Apr 19, 2024 at 09:45AM EDT

Thankfully I don't see it, but from what people are saying (and from last time) I can imagine itโ€ฆ
So, how much copium am I on if I believe the UI will be reverted when the higher-ups eventually forget about it? (like last time)

I don't know how the new design looks on desktop, since it's still showing the old design for me.

But I just got it on mobile, and boy am I glad to be able to see notes, tags, and next/previous buttons on image pages again (remember how they removed this basic functionality from the old design on mobile like 8 years ago for no reason?)

Everything's crazy inconsistent too from an accessibility standpoint. Some links change color when hovered but don't change the cursor to a click indicator. Some links do that, but the text doesn't change in any way (color change, underline, etc) when hovered. Lots of little things are either inconsistent or missing entirely like alt text displaying when images are hovered.

I can only hope this stuff still works with a screen reader because there's a lot of potential A11Y issues present here, let alone non-accessibility issues.

Thanks for the feedback everyone โ€“ we're definitely working through many of the suggested improvements.

We just pushed a big update to overhaul the comments section, hope this helps with a lot of the issues y'all were having there.

I just finally got the new layout, it's easily the worst redesign I've ever seen. Usually when YouTube decides to change its entire layout things are still similar enough for you to go "Oh yeah, I click here for my subscriptions. Oh, I click here to see my view history." On this new Know Your Meme? I honestly don't know where the trending bar is. When your new layout is so fundamentally broken that it feels like a completely different website altogether you have a problem.

But I could probably forgive that, if clicking on "Old Design" in the options didn't jokingly send you to that Back to the Future meme where it says "Hey, I've Seen This One!"

Just got the update and boy talk about walking inside your house drunk after the wife rearranged the furniture. Flips back and forth depending on what page I'm on.

Honest question, why not an app release? Keep the website the OLD way, and app mobile friendly.

I used to use this site almost daily, and I signed back in after a few years just to weigh in. This redesign is borderline hostile to users. I don't know who ordered this change, but it's terrible execution. I almost have to believe it was done on purpose so that people would react like this and whoever designed it has a reason to tell their boss it was a bad idea.

It's not just the fact that the homepage is a garbled, unintelligible mess that reads like an early 2000's abandoned blog site.

It's not just the fact that actual entries are poorly formatted nonsense that genuinely look like "read-only" pages instead of unique, easy-to-read pages like they used to.

It's not just the fact that on most entries, the comments are broken, nor is it the fact that some image pages lead to literally nothing.

It's not the fact that the mobile website is literally unusable.

It's not even the fact that the so-called "opt-out" leads to a single meme entry page, despite certain staff members in this forum claiming otherwise.

It's all of that, on top of the fact that this website has practically gone unchanged for a decade, and the biggest one you introduced has done more damage to this place than when you started punishing people for using adblockers. If you want people to stop using Know Your Meme, it'd be more respectable to just shut the place down than kill it slowly this way. Please revert all changes made and do not implement future ones that don't have to do with website stability and security.

It seems you can't change back to the old design while being logged in. But when i logged out and clicked on "old design", it actually changed the whole site back to the old layout, and kept it after logging back in. Ridiculous that you need to do it like this, but it seems to work for now.

Bruh, who thought it was a good idea to implement this ultra awful UI onto this website??? For example, whenever I click on an image on an image gallery, it takes me directly to the image instead of opening a preview of the image with the thumbs up and the faves icon on the bottom right. And the colors of the thumbs up, thumbs down, and the faves are no longer green, red, and yellow, respectively. They're just the same dull dark blue color.

Last edited Apr 20, 2024 at 03:45PM EDT

I've been stuck with the new layout for a couple of days now, and it blows chunks. Image previews are gone, the trending bar is hard to access, the new upvote/downvote UI is confusing, and worst of all, it's borderline unusable. I'm stuck having to refresh a page multiple times in order for it to work correctly, when this was never an issue with the old layout. This is unacceptable.

Edit: Fortunately, I was able to revert it back by signing out and clicking an option that said "old design". But the fact the new design was not only forced on me, but also forced me to sign out first is pretty terrible.

Last edited Apr 21, 2024 at 12:02AM EDT

stevo wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone โ€“ we're definitely working through many of the suggested improvements.

We just pushed a big update to overhaul the comments section, hope this helps with a lot of the issues y'all were having there.

Please just forget about the redesign entirely.

I'm a sporadic lurker who's only uploaded like one image and I'm adding to the noise that this is a terrible design. God, the moment I clicked into this new design it was revolting enough to make me physically shudder.

I go on vacation for a week and come back to a sterilized, generic news website with bad loading times and atrocious navigation.
Trending images loop the same 20 images over and over, and mousing over them no longer displays the little banner that shows what gallery they're from.
What the FUCK happened here??
Edit: Opening the site in privacy mode seems to change it back to the old style.

Last edited Apr 22, 2024 at 04:29AM EDT

welp i tried not to get too addicted to knowyourmeme by only coming to this site on a dice roll, but it seems things are different, especially how now i can't browse galleries and tags by most liked/favorited anymore, the layout is not as charming but hopefully they get it right in the future, ciao.

The new design is dreadful. It just starting showing up for me today. It's almost as bad as the barely usable mobile version (there's a reason I only visit this site on desktop). I've already noticed the following in just the past 10-15 minutes I've been on today:

1) Image galleries don't load properly when scrolling.
2) When you hover your cursor on images in the galleries there's no alt text or even an indication of which meme entry they belong to.
3) When clicking on images in the galleries, they don't open in a preview but instead just go straight to its page. I preferred the old setup as since it opened image pages in a new tab I didn't lose my place in the gallery.
4) You have to click "Show Comments" by default now to see them, which is annoying. Also, comments sections all show the wrong number of comments at the top; it's "number of comments plus one."

Having a creepy stalker here is bad enough. Now I have another reason to not bother with this site. It was nice having a place to converse that wasn't an echo chamber of commiseration but also wasn't a cesspit like 4chan, but like many other websites the owners just want to fix what isn't broken instead of tackling genuine issues users have pointed out for years (like no edit button for comments).

Just popping in to give some updates on what has been fixed, what's currently being worked on and what's next up in the queue.

Please keep the feedback coming! It's super helpful for getting everything dialed in.

Implemented last week:

• Tons of performance enhancements (mostly dealing with caching) to speed up pages & overall responsiveness
  • Comments section overhaul (styling for ease of readability and following threads, counts, NSFW & Delete functionality, and additional caching improvements)

Currently in progress:

• Fix for the opt-out functionality
    checking to ensure all CMS/Admin pages are on the old design
  • Fix for missing Edit/Submit button functionality
  • Fix for missing alt text on image mouseover

Next up in the queue:

• Fix for editing images
  • Subdomain cross talk (example โ€“ redesign on normal domain, navigate to trending & get the old design)
  • Check on timestamps โ€“ users are reporting these are wrong, but looks to be a timezone diff since the release

Oh my god, the design is utterly dogshit. Clearing out the cookies didn't help either, and it seems like it's intended only for mobile users and no one else.

Furthermore, the "Old Site" option only works for a brief period of time (a few weeks for me) before it reverts back to the "new" layout.

Last edited Apr 25, 2024 at 01:36AM EDT

Lurker here. Finally hit with the Mobile site layout. So much whitespace on left/right, and a lot of useless functionality like the mandatory "Display Comments" that appears. Did anyone even ask for this aside from C-Suite?

Some more hotfixes coming in today -

additional fixes for comments section
fix for missing hover alt text on photo galleries
fix for missing edit/submit change buttons on entries
fix for missing edit button on images

Part 1

Finally got it when I was browsing on desktopโ€ฆ

Agreeing with the sentiment that no amount of text can describe how sad, painful, and frustrating it is to see the site layout go to something so unusable. It is embarrassing how many features have been removed or broken with no benefit or improvements. It it so bad it is near malicious.

• Images uploads say the user that uploaded the image fucking created the image. All throughout this, I get the very clear message that whoever designed the site is not someone who is in touch with the community. But this is perhaps the worst offender. At the top bar with number of favs, number of comments, and vote totals it lists the image uploader. However, instead of the original "about the uploader" blurb, it now says "Created x time ago by username". NO. This needs to be immediately reverted. Almost no one on KYM creates the majority of the images they upload, and those that do are often banned for spamming. This is almost maliciously inaccurate and will lead to people citing KYM for viral documentation attributing images to random KYM users as the creators of fanart and memes instead of the actual people who did so. This needs to be changed as soon as humanly possible. The old version was inarguable superior and will lead to people being extremely upset at the site for lying and spreading misinformation under the guise of documenting.
  • The listed "image creator" isn't even fucking linked, come on man. Seriously, why would you remove this functionality? If someone tries to impersonate another user, like we used to do with Spirit Week (Spirit Week 2, Spirit Week 3, Spirit Week 4, Spirit Week 5) or when trolls actively try to get users banned by impersonating users. This just makes it harder to tell if the user that made the upload was actually who they claimed to be or not, which is great for the trolls who want to spark havoc on the site and literally no one else ffs. The old version was inarguable superior, and site functionality broken.
  • Please ensure the uploader's avatar is also visible. Again, something that was present in the original that had a functional purpose. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • No obvious link to the forums. Yes "haha imagine using the forums" given how inactive they have become, but if even someone who checks the forums daily has to actively look to find them then you're setting up the forums to be completely abandoned. The old version was inarguable superior. If you must have dropdown menu functionality for it, use the existing major forum categories (Discussion, Media, Fun!, and Maintenance.)
  • There is no obvious way to edit images. After looking, I eventually figured out that the square with the pencil is the button to edit images. This is painfully not obvious. This button only appears to be present on images that one has uploaded. Scrapbookers and image mods do not appear to have this option on other people's uploads. Please revert to just a simple "edit image" button. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • Search engine brings up 404 errors. I was looking for something in the forums and used the site's search engine. after searching for the phrase, I specified that I was looking for results in the forums. This immediately resulted in KYM's 404 error page coming up. Interestingly, this was not the case for any other option (images, videos, users, news, editorials). Site functionality broken.
  • Images opened in a new tab open blank white pages sometimes requiring multiple refreshes to load any component of the website. Site error.
  • Notes field shows even when an image has nothing in the notes. The old version of the site did not say the word notes or have space allocated to it if there was nothing in the notes. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • Removal of "sort by highest score* for image search results. Literally, what purpose does its removal serve? If someone is looking for memes in the most casual sense, is almost certainly going to be the first choice they are going to use. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • Please move the "All" options from the image drop-down feed to the top of the drop-down menu. I do like how the button itself can be clicked without selecting an option to bring it up, but this is not obvious.
  • Comments feed page leads to KYM's 500 error message. Site error and site functionality broken.
  • Please move image tags to below the image. Personally, I'm okay with most of the other metadata being shown directly below the image and then just to the side where it is easier to miss. This ie especially true with the number of people on mobile. But tags being higher not only before the image but also before the title feels really wrong and out of place. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • Comments numbers are inconsistent and the "Show comments" button disappears. I chose a random image that an admin uploaded for documentation. At the top, user stats for the image (comments, favs, likes, dislikes) are all zero. At the bottom of the page it reads "Comments (1)" And has a button reading "Show comments". Clicking this button results in the button changing to a "Show more comments" button and nothing else. Clicking that button makes the button disappear leading to there now just being a blank white void that shows zero comments despite the lower part of the page saying "Comments (1)". Site error.
  • It feels alien for admins to say votes don't matter, there can't be any official vote auditing, and be on the verge of removing voting altogether because of how taxing it is on the site and the drama it can cause, yet also make the votes in the images be more prominent. I would have thought having just the net votes immediately visible and the raw votes only being seen in rollover text would have been significantly more preferable. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • no obvious indication of the content has been voted on or not. There is no color change after voting on something. Not only does it not let you see how you voted, you can't even see that you've voted. The old version was inarguable superior.
  • If user that uploaded an image has changed their username since uploading the image, then the uploader on the rollover text reads as "Unknown". Site error.
    EDIT: I'm getting this error a lot on search results, even where I do not think the user has changed names
  • Advanced Search Protips link to this page is no longer next to the search bar, this needs to be reinstated. The old version was inarguable superior.

Changes I'm okay with: NVM if it necessitates it doing as described, The old version was inarguable superior.

• Moving the origin, entry, source, and notes and tags inline with the image instead of out to the side. This would presumably allow for the image in question to be displayed larger on mobile.

Andโ€ฆ this was the answer I was going to give until I actually checked a few images. There is a lot of unused white space on the sides of many of the general images I saw that were recently uploaded. I thought maybe that was to help with something and it could be adjusted according to image dimensions. Unfortunately, it seems it is just artificially forcing every image to fit within certain confines.

Before, image was small and long, but you could get a rough idea of what was in the image, even without text:

After, the image is significantly smaller, there is no telling what is even in the image itself. There is even more whitespace than image on the image page when I was expecting the reverse to be the case.

I didn't want to say anything without using it myself. I agree with the sentiment that it is so bad it feels like it was done to make things worse.

Last edited Apr 30, 2024 at 04:15PM EDT

you know, from what others are saying about this site layout change, i feel like the general consensus boils down to "burn it to the ground"

it feels like this change is legitimately unsalvageable in like every way

99.9% agreement with Jill's takes on the layout, and I'm gonna add a few other bothersome things that I had to suffer through before finally getting back to the old one (thanks heavens) (and no, I'm not re-instaling this layout just to see if it was changed in the meantime, fuck off):
- several options for searching pictures were dumbed down to the point of being downright gone. It was, for instance, completely impossible to seach for least-liked (aka most downvoted) or for most-commented recent pictures, these options being now strictly reserved to the entirety of the picture database. Need I remind you that memes are viral trends, and that a meme database kinda sorta need a way to sort through the most recent viral trends in order to be relevant? Especially if the rehaul's goal is to attract new viewers and members. I doubt the Youthยฎ is that interested in our oldest uploads;
- as it was when I escaped this digital hell, the comments on both pictures and entries were sorted from oldest to newest, in one continuous row. So, to get to the most recent (aka, again, most relevant for viral trends) messages, I needed to scroll aaaaaaall the way down, and for certain popular and/or old articles, I do mean AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way down. If only thew were sorted by most recent, and if only there was a way to cut the comments by groups of 10 to more easily navigate them. Similarly to, oh, I dunno, the current fucking layout?
- on mobile, there was no way of seeing what entry a picture belonged to. Unlike the old layout, there was no text indicating it, so for NSFW pics and spoilers, you had to practically guess what you were getting. The change really should've been the other way around, with the pic's title being shown by default on mobile, as you cannot hover the inexisting cursor over the icon to display text. The fact that clicking a picture's icon immediately redirected to its page didn't help matters, either.
- โ€“ -
Now there's a pattern here you might see emerging. And since what goes without saying, goes even better when said out loud: almost everything in the new layout is objectively and vastly inferior to the old one. To the point where using the desktop-designed layout on a mobile was 20 times easier than using the mobile-designed layout on a computer. If you guys had worked your way using the old layout as a basis, and added changes that actually benefited the mobile interface (bigger buttons, text displayed by defaultโ€ฆ), we wouldn't be in this mess. I know if I hadn't been a KYM member already, and this is the website I discovered, I would have never joined it in any capacity.
Again, I must insist: many websites have separate layouts for computers and for smartphones. Was it really not an option? We would've at least been able to test the new for-mobile interface in real time without punishing the computer users.
Also, you should really do surveys before forcing these changes, c'm'on. What are we, Twitter?

Congratulations! You finally made me post something of these forums!

It's as bad as everyone is saying. I think for me the biggest loss is that now clicking on a meme when I'm browsing a gallery just takes me to that meme's page. No longer can I simply click a meme, give it a like & see how many comments there are (if any) without having to go to the hassle of loading a new page.

I usually barely look the way of the forums (I probably should) but god does the new layout hurt me , everything is too big for my liking meanwhile stuff like comment buttons are pitifully small, no longer can I see new comments first but I see them in upvote order I think ?, aside from that I've noticed the new layout takes MAYBE slightly more to load ? tho that could be more on my end tbh.

other stuff include the site just looking to white and black within images but then having colors on the comments for some reason ?

also the main page is organized like assโ€ฆ. actually I think that's my biggest issue, this shit is organized like a gremlins cave, images mixing with entries and comments being easy to miss altogether.
overall this layout kind of hurts

Can we at least get some basic functionality actually working before pushing the new site out? Comments don't load, half the time images don't load, galleries loop over, there's no trending gallery below the images, among so many other problems.

Also, put me on the "change the 'created by' to 'added' or 'uploaded' because sourcing is a damn big deal" train.

Another dogshit redesign for this website. At least the previous one had an option to use the original in account settings IIRC. I don't see it being the case this time. Fucking zoomer web design courses graduates who have no idea about usability in UI.

Howdy! You must login or signup first!